Monday, March 30, 2020

Some Housekkeeping

I decided to restart blogging more because we are living through what is going to be a historic time, going through a life altering pandemic the likes of which has not been seen since the Pandemic of 1918. That is still the pandemic that gives epidemiologists and public health officials nightmares. It's the standard that all other epidemics and pandemics get compared to.

But with Covid-19, a new nightmare was born. Historians, doctors and researchers, and even novelists will look back on these times and these struggles of ordinary people to get a sense of what went on. In the past, historians and writers have used personal journals as source material for understanding the times and people of given eras. They have gleaned valuable information about how ordinary people coped, what they thought, what they did to get by, what they thought, and most importantly what they felt.

This period will be no different. Some people are keeping personal journals. Others have returned to online journals - weblogs, or for short, blogs. As a former blogger, I thought I was done with the long form blog. For politics, social media like Facebook and Twitter allow me to reach many more people than my blog ever did. And they are less time consuming. You can share an opinion in 50 or 150 words or less. You could just share a link to somebody else's opinions or factual articles. You could have a life beyond living in your basement churning out articles and posts.

But I'm homebound now, self quarantining, practicing social distancing, and obeying Virginia Governor Ralph Northam's just issued order to stay in. It's a great idea. I'm perfectly happy to hole up and protect myself as much as humanly possible.

So, I've resumed my blogging, not about politics, though that will probably creep in, but something more personal, reflective, and hopefully more creative.

Meanwhile I realized there was a problem with doing it here. I wrote my few posts on the blog I already had. But I want to separate myself from my old identity, Anonymous Is A Woman,

I had a lot of fun with it back in the mid 2000s, from 2005 to 2010. But too much time has passed under the bridge. I am writing this as Karen Duncan, not as AIAW. So, I set up a new site. I am directing anybody who stumbles onto this site to look over there. It's still on Blogger because that's the easiest site on which to produce content. I don't want to fiddle around with designing a website and coding, Let somebody who likes that stuff do it. I just want to write. Anyway, here's my new home on Blogger. Best of all, it's got my real name as part of the address.

I will be playing around with design a bit. So the look may change as I go on. But here's where I live now

https://karenfduncan.blogspot.com/


No comments: