Monday, July 07, 2008

Dreams Die Hard

It's no secret to anybody who reads my blog, or my comments on other blogs, that I've wanted Jim Webb as Vice President. I think he'd make a great addition to Barack Obama's presidential ticket, putting Appalachia into play and connecting to working class voters who had become Reagan Democrats, much like him.

Alas, that is not to be. The Senator's office just issued the following press release:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Jessica Smith
202-420-9508

Monday, July 7, 2008

Statement of Senator Jim Webb

Washington, DC-- Senator Jim Webb today issued the following statement:

"Last week I communicated to Senator Obama and his presidential campaign my firm intention to remain in the United States Senate, where I believe I am best equipped to serve the people of Virginia and this country. Under no circumstances will I be a candidate for Vice President.

"A year and a half ago, the people of Virginia honored me with election to the Senate. I entered elective politics because of my commitment to strengthen America's national security posture, to promote economic fairness, and to increase government accountability. I have worked hard to deliver upon that commitment, and I am convinced that my efforts and talents toward those ends are best served in the U.S. Senate.

"In this regard, the bipartisan legislative template we were able to put into effect through 18 months of work in order to enact the new landmark GI Bill will serve as a prototype for my future endeavors in government. This process, wherein we brought 58 Senators from both parties to the table as co-sponsors, along with more than 300 members of the House, gives me renewed confidence that the Congress can indeed work effectively across party lines and address the concerns of our citizens.

"At this time I am also renewing my commitment to work hard to make sure that Senator Obama wins both Virginia and the presidency this November. He is a man who speaks eloquently about our national goals and who has the ability to call for the practical solutions that must be put into place to obtain them. I will proudly campaign for him."

Paul Reagan
Chief of Staff
Senator Webb
Although the dream dies hard, I've got to respect the integrity of the man who will do exactly what he was elected to do: Represent the people of Virginia in the U.S. Senate and continue fighting for economic fairness, national security, GI Rights, and government accountability.

1 comment:

Vox Populi said...

I'm with you! I was hoping he would've been a contender. I think he would've added much to the ticket, but like you, I am glad to have Webb stay in the Senate so he can team up with Mark Warner and help the Obama administration!