Friday, August 03, 2007

Because Debate Is Good!

Ok, it's a circle jerk, but I'm going to link back to Brian Kirwin, at Bearing Drift, because he put up a post about Janet Oleszek's open letter, which I posted the other night.

I'm doing it because nobody has made a comment defending Ken Cuccinelli here. I'm not the most read blog in the blogosphere, but I do hope to be fair and provide honest debate.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am for Janet Oleszek. I think she'll make an excellent senator and I think that Ken's conservatisim is increasingly out of touch with this district. On issues, I don't agree with him. But as I've said in the past, I do like him. He's a great person.

I don't feel the need to demonize everybody I disagree with. But I also don't feel the need to pull punches on whom I support. I'm a left center Democrat. I also know Janet Oleszek personally and have tremendous respect for her intellect and her integrity. I like her very much too.

So, I will support her strongly. But I do feel the need to be fair to Ken. So, here's the other side's response, as best I could bring here.

However, I will be writing more favorably about Janet, and more critical of Ken in the coming months leading up to the election. But I hope to keep a civil tone and I do encourage his supporters to defend him.

Because debate is good for democracy.

No comments: