Sunday, June 11, 2006

Jim Webb-John Kerry Campaign Rally Tomorrow, June 12 at 3:30 PM

Come on down to Jim Webb’s headquarters tomorrow at 3:30 to meet John Kerry and Jim Webb at a special election eve rally. Everybody is welcome to come and meet these two great Americans and loyal Democrats.

Webb’s campaign headquarters is at 1916 Wilson Boulevard. It’s easily accessible by Metro. Get off at the Court House station and it’s a short two-block walk. For directions, or to RSVP for the rally, call campaign headquarters at 703-778-4080. And while you’re there, volunteer to help out for the last great push to get out the vote for Jim Webb.

It will be well worth the effort. I can tell you from personal experience, you’ll feel great after you volunteer some of your time to make a difference in this important race to take back the Senate for real Democrats.

I just got back from Webb campaign headquarters, where I phone banked for a couple of hours. I know it’s the 11th hour, just two more days until the election results are in. Tuesday is the primary. That leaves tomorrow and Tuesday to get that vote out. Polls open at 6 am and close at 7 pm on Tuesday.

In that time, there’s still a lot of work to do. In fact, the hardest, most frenetic push takes place now. It’s like D-Day. And all hands on deck are needed.

Even if you haven’t been active until now, there’s still time to go to headquarters to make calls and encourage people to vote for Webb. Or if you’d like, there are going to be sign wavers at strategic spots and people handing out literature at Metro stations. To find out what you can do, come by or call the headquarters, 703-778-4080.

In fact, even today, Sunday, when I got to the Metro station at Dunn Loring to head downtown to work the phone bank, I ran into a Webb volunteer handing out literature.

In the past two days of phone banking, I never had so much fun. I met great people. The joint was jumping. At one point there were so many of us we had to wait for a phone line to be vacant before placing the next call. Folks were even using their cell phones because all the landlines were in use. While waiting for a phone line, conversations would break out amongst the volunteers and I was impressed by the intelligence, enthusiasm, and dedication of my fellow volunteers. Also, I got to see some great Democrats whom I've known for years, like Rose Chou. And I got to meet people whose names I knew from the blogosphere, like Teddy Goodson, who posts at Raising Kaine.

And so many of the people I called were fantastic. If you’re at all like me, you might dread cold calling strangers. We can’t all be super salespeople, like Teddy – she’s fantastic on a phone. Me, I pray that nobody’s home so I can just leave a message. I’m afraid I’ll get tongue-tied and blow it for my candidate.

But I got so many favorable responses from people who were going to vote for Webb. Of course, at this point, the campaign has identified those most likely to vote for Webb and all we were doing was the last minute push to get our supporters out. Makes it easier. You’re not going to get too many irate Miller supporters slamming the phone on you.

But I did get a few undecideds, and actually even convinced a couple of them to go for Webb. There’s no better feeling in the world than persuading somebody to vote for the candidate you believe in, especially somebody as capable, honorable, and decent as Jim Webb.

So, take some time and get down to the rally tomorrow, and contact the Webb campaign to see what you can do to help. You can have the satisfaction that you helped make a difference for America and Virginia.

No comments: